Secure SEZ Status - JAMPRO
Secure Sez Status Banner
Secure Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Status
The Special Economic Zone Act (SEZ Act) provides for the designation, promotion, development, operation and management of Special Economic Zones (SEZs), the establishment of a Special Economic Zone Authority, and the granting of tax incentives and other benefits.
As established, the Jamaica Special Economic Zone Authority (JSEZA) is the arm of the Government of Jamaica (GOJ) responsible for facilitating the development, promotion and regulation of special economic zones.
The SEZ Act was enacted in 2016, effectively repealing the Jamaica Export Free Zone Act. Under the Act the JSEZA is mandated to perform specific functions that are among other things, intended to enhance the Jamaican economy by increasing investment and creating job opportunities. These functions include:
- Promote measures, actions and investments aimed at improving the logistics chains of which zones are a part;
- Foster the development and expansion of the Zones in collaboration with the Government, international organisations and the private sector;
- Protect the environment in the course of the development and operation of Zones;
- Enable persons conducting business in the Zones to compete effectively in the conduct of their businesses;
- Promote technical and operational education and training in the fields of Zone development, promotion, operation and management.
For more information on securing SEZ status, see our business process guideline below.