Understand more about the process…
Under a licensing regime you will be allowed to handle ganja for medical, scientific and therapeutic purposes. The Regulations includes licences across several categories and types. Below gives a listing of the five (5) different categories in which Licences are issued:
- Cultivators Licence (Tiers 1-3)
- Processing Licence (Tiers 1-2)
- Transport Licence
- Retail Licence (With consumption/Without consumption facilities/Therapeutic)
- Research and Development Licence (Experimental/Analytical services)
Follow this link to see descriptions for the various Categories above.
It should be noted that the current Regulations do not cover licenses pertaining to Import and Export.
The Application Process
The application review process will be a multi-layered review comprising the following steps:
- Application completeness check
- Due diligence checks
- Pre-inspection checks
For more information on how to secure a cannabis licence, continue to the next step of this business process guideline.
Determine your eligibility…
The Authority outlines criteria that must be met by applicants. Individuals, companies and cooperatives can apply if they meet the following criteria:
- Individual (for cultivation) - must be an ‘ordinarily resident’ - (living in Jamaica for three (3) or more years).
- Company - must be registered with the Companies Office of Jamaica (COJ) with ‘substantial’ ownership and control by persons who are ‘ordinarily residents’. See how to register a business.
- Cooperatives - must have proof of registration or evidence of an application for registration.
The Regulations also clearly outline persons that cannot apply either as individuals or as Directors of companies:
- Persons convicted of offences specified in:
- Schedule 3 of the Criminal Records (Rehabilitation of Offenders) Act, 2014
- Sections 92 and 93 of the Proceeds of Crime Act
- Persons convicted of offences, not included above, under the Dangerous Drugs Act for which 10 years has not passed since the completion on the sentence, and during that time the person has not committed an offence involving violence or dishonesty
- Persons convicted of other offences, not included above, for which 5 years has not passed since the completion on the sentence and during that time the person has not committed an offence involving violence or dishonesty
- Any person convicted of a similar offence overseas
Complete the relevant form(s) and provide any supporting information/documents…
You visit the CLA to collect your application form or one may be requested via email at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to complete and submit your application for a Cannabis Licence. Forms are also available on the website for download, printing and completion.
For new and renewal applications, you are required to complete your application form along with the specified i) CLA Forms and ii) Other Supporting Documentation/information. In order to ensure your applications are processed expeditiously and within the relevant timeframe, please verify that all the information is completed fully, and the required supporting documents/information are submitted along with your application.
A separate application form and set of documents are required for each category of license for which you are applying. Your application fee should also be paid at the time advised by the Authority. Complete and submit your application form along with the CLA forms and other relevant supporting documentation/information indicated below:
- Application Form to be completed and submitted to CLA. Please indicate clearly on the form the type of licence for which you are applying:
- CLA Forms to be included with each of your applications for submission. Complete and include each of the Forms below that is relevant to your application(s):
- Supplemental Information for Licence Application [FORM 1B]
- Application for Occupational Licences (Group) [FORM 2A] - Use multiple copies of Form 2A if necessary
- Declaration of Ownership/Change in Directors [FORM 2B] - Use multiple copies of 2B if necessary
- Consent of Owner [FORM 3] - If the applicant does not own the property/premises/motor vehicle being licensed, will also be required
- Other Supporting Information to be included with all applications for submission.
In addition to the above, the following documents must also be submitted:
- For All Applications/General:
- Tax Compliance Certificate - How to get a TCC.
- Land Title or documents granting authority to access or use of the property for growing ganja.
- Official Police Records – for Owner or all Directors, as well as for each employee. Only originals of the Police Records will be accepted.
- Survey Diagram of property and/or premises showing all distinct areas (with dimensions and partitions), including, but not limited to - entrance/exits, receival/loading areas and storage areas. Diagram does not have to be drawn to scale and should be on a single 8 ½ x 11 (letter-sized) paper.
- For Businesses/Companies/Cooperatives:
- Constituent Documents (e.g. Articles of Incorporation, Partnership Agreement, etc.)
- Certificate of Registration - How to register a business.
- Evidence of Application (in the case of an Application under the Cooperative or Friendly Societies Act, not yet approved)
- For Cultivator/Individual Applicants:
- Letter of Agreement from prospective purchaser of raw material (if available)
- Passport-sized Photo certified by a Justice of the Peace.
- Valid Identification - copies of two (2) Government issued IDs.
Applicants should also take note of any additional documents requested on the CLA Application and any of the other CLA Forms. For a more complete listing see this Application Checklist - guide for Businesses/Companies/Cooperatives.
All copied documents submitted must be certified by a Justice of the Peace.
Submit your completed application…
Once your application form and any relevant supporting information/documents have been completed, signed, stamped and certified where required; you will need to visit CLA’s offices to submit your application for a Cannabis Licence and pay the relevant fee. All completed application forms and supporting documents must be placed in a single sealed envelope and submitted to the CLA.
The address and contact information for the CLA is indicated below:
Cannabis Licensing Authority
Licensing and Applications Division
4th Floor PanJam Building
60 Knutsford Boulevard
Tel: 1 (876) 654-7582; 596-2996
Monday – Thursday: 8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am – 4:00 pm
Pay the relevant processing fees…
A non-refundable processing fee must be paid (per license being applied for) at the time of submission in order for your application to be processed. Payment can be made to the Authority in cash, by credit card or by cheque payable to the Cannabis Licensing Authority. Do not pay this fee until you are advised by the Authority to provide proof of payment. Annual Licence and other fees are payable on approval of your Licence.
Individual: Non-refundable processing fee
USD $300 (one time)
Businesses/Companies/Cooperatives: Non-refundable processing fee
USD $500 (one time)
Licence Fees (Annual):
- Non-refundable - see list of Licence Fees to be paid initially and then annually under each category of Licence.
Please note: Fees are subject to updates as per link above.
- Refundable - one-time Security Bond to be paid for Cultivator, Processing and R&D Licences.
Processing Time (From application submission to conditional approval/denial) :
- Individual Licence - approximately eight (8) months.
- Businesses/Companies/Cooperatives - approximately eight (8) months.
Additional steps required for approval…
Once your application(s) has been submitted, await feedback from the Cannabis Licensing Authority. The Authority will review your application for completeness and notify you of any additional information required. If your application submission is complete and you have paid the processing fee, the following additional steps will be taken by the CLA as a part of their own due diligence process:
For Cannabis Licence Applications:
- CLA Desk Review - carried out on the application and supporting documents to confirm completeness of data submitted. (1 week)
- Pay Application Processing Fees - upon confirmation of complete data submitted and confirmation of amount due from CLA, the applicant is required to make the payment via online, in the bank or via Manager’s cheque. If not done via Manager’s cheque, copy of receipt to be submitted to the CLA.
- CLA Desk Verification of application. (2 days)
- CLA Due Diligence Exercise - consultations with key partners to do due diligence. (3-4 months)
- Initial Report and Conditional Approval – report completed, and approval given to applicant. (2 weeks). Approval is valid for 6 months from date of letter.
- Applicant Site-related Works - undertaken to meet criteria/conditions indicated in conditional approval
- Pre-Licence Inspection - site inspection undertaken by CLA to ensure all of the criteria/conditions have been met. See pre-licence inspection criteria. (5 days)
- Second/Final Report and CLA’s Decision – report completed, and approval or refusal recommended. (2 weeks)
- Notification of Licence Approval - valid for 3 months.
- Licence Fee Paid - upon notification of approval. Security Bond Paid - for Cultivator, Processing and R&D Licences only.
- Tripartite Agreement Secured - for Cultivator Licence only.
- Licence & Terms of Conditions - issued and Applicant is notified of issuing.
In order to maintain your licence, you must adhere to the general terms and conditions governing the licensing of ganja activities. This is in addition to the specific terms and conditions of the licence that you hold. Click here for more information on the “terms and conditions”.
For more information on this process, see this process diagram and contact the CLA.
Collect your approved document(s)…
Once the review and assessment process has been completed and the CLA Agreement finalised; the Authority will notify you that your application for your Cannabis Licence has been granted and that you may visit CLA to collect your document.
At the end of the process you would have received the following:
- Your Cannabis Licence & Terms of Conditions